Live Blogging First X-Men #1



I'm gonna try something new, just because I can.  I'm Live Blogging my initial reading of Neal Adams' vanity project (with Christos Gage on writing assist) The First X-Men.  I've never done this, before, so it should be interesting.  Also, I'm doing it as I talk to my good friend Patrick, who will snark with me even though he's not reading the book.  Should be.... something?  I guess?

me:  Ok, it is time.  Time to read First X-Men.
 Patrick:  Is it about cavemen
 Sent at 5:37 PM on Wednesday
 me:  (Open's page 1) It doesn't appear to be,
 Sent at 5:40 PM on Wednesday
 me:  I'll give them this much credit, page 2 is a splash page of a  dude exploding and throwing Wolverine off the page.  It's a hell of a cold open.
 Sent at 5:45 PM on Wednesday
 me:  Hey, it's gonna be a Wolverine/Sabertooth buddy cop show!
 Patrick:  so they are the first X-Men?
 Sent at 5:48 PM on Wednesday
 me:  I think this is them forming the first X-Men.  They're rescuing mutants from an early "government mutant determent center" place that Wolverine conveniently found out about off camera.
 Patrick:  so...
they should call them the W-Men
since Charles Xavier has NOTHING to do with it
 me:  At the moment?  Yes.  Also, dudes in robot suits are now fighting them
 Sent at 5:50 PM on Wednesday
 me:  Does the name "Holly Bright" sound familiar to you?
I can't place it
telepath, by the looks of her
 Patrick:  she must be new
 Sent at 5:54 PM on Wednesday
 me:  Looks like she makes you see your dreams, maybe.  Or maybe she's just a telepath.  Hard to guess this early in
 Sent at 5:56 PM on Wednesday
 me:  double page spread of a giant dragon monster thing that the bad guys are seeing!
Only 20 pages in this comic, but that's 2 splash pages taking up 3 pages!
 Patrick:  lol
typical
 me:  calls herself 'Holo'.  Wikipedia doesn't pick anything up.
 Patrick:  She must be new
Google doesn't have anything on her
besides an actress on imdb who has been in like two things
 me:  Our buddy cops and recently added team mate rush off!
Now it's Moira and Charles at oxford
And they're talking about getting married
I'm sure that will end well.
 Patrick:  oh so we are bringing Xavier into this , lol
this sounds...
like a fanfic
 me:  Well, we knew it was a vanity project going in
 Sent at 6:01 PM on Wednesday
 me:  Okay, so the three of them have actually gone to England to find Charles, as he was the next person on the government's "mutants we want to hunt down and possibly dissect" list that Wolvie snatched from the government lab
 Sent at 6:03 PM on Wednesday
 me:  And Charles doesn't want to admit to them that he's a telepath, let alone join Wolverine's little "help young mutants" squad
Actually, Xaiver's acting like a total douche, which makes a certain amount of sense
 Sent at 6:05 PM on Wednesday
 me:  Apparently, after all these years, Charles never learned to tell the difference between hearing a person's voice and hearing a person's thoughts
Which, uh, I'm pretty sure is a contradiction from, like Uncanny #1.  I can see the panel in my mind...
 Sent at 6:07 PM on Wednesday
 me:  Here's the panel
with, uh, some shots of James McAvery too
 Sent at 6:09 PM on Wednesday
 me:  Apparently the next name is Magneto's
And we get a shout out to the scene in the Argentinian bar in First Class
and then it's too be continued...
Welp.  That's that.
The plot's paper thin, and the art is... Sometimes pretty ok.  Mayne a little too rushed?
*maybe
I wish they would have had someone ink Adams' pencils, rather than have him ink himself
But, this was billed as the story about "why Xaiver formed the X-Men", and I can see the threads, I suppose.
 Sent at 6:14 PM on Wednesday
 me:  Honestly, it wasn't horrible.  Wasn't brilliant by any means, but I was worried it'd be a lot worse.
 Sent at 6:15 PM on Wednesday
And that was that.  That was kind of fun.  Maybe I'll do it again next issue?  We'll see, I guess.

Comments

Popular Posts